School of Chemistry

Search site

Accidents and Emergencies

The following sections describe the procedures to be adopted in the case of an incident involving fire (including false alarms and drills), a gas leak, a major flood, a chemical spillage or a complete loss of electrical power. Do not jeopardise the safety of yourself or others by attempting to tackle an incident – the first priority should be to alert the emergency services and security, and to evacuate the building – only if it safe and you have sufficient training should an incident be tackled. In some cases it may also be appropriate to alert suitably trained personnel, for example, breathing apparatus trained users and First Aiders, about the incidents.

General Advice in Case of Emergency

In an emergency telephone University Security Ext. 32222. The Duty Officer will contact police, ambulance or fire services as necessary. If Ext. 32222 cannot be obtained, telephone 9999 for the emergency services directly but inform University Security as soon as possible afterwards. This is essential because the emergency services will need directions from security staff.

In less serious incidents first aid treatment may be adequate. There are approximately 20 trained first aiders in the building. The current list of first aiders should be posted in all laboratory areas. During office hours (9 am  to 5 pm) you can contact a first aider by phoning Ext. 39696. You will be asked to provide three pieces of information:

  • The name of the school
  • The room number
  • The nature of the injury 

E.g. Chemistry; room G53f; chemical burn. A first aider will then be paged and should arrive on the scene shortly. If no help arrives or the situation deteriorates phone Security (Ext. 32222). Further first aid and emergency treatment advice is available.

University Services


Security Office (emergencies only)


Security Office (other than for emergencies)

35495 or 35494

Safety Advisory Service


Student Medical Practice


Reporting Accidents and Incidents

It is essential that all accidents and incidents (near misses) are reported. In some cases under the RIDDOR (Reporting Incidents Diseases and Dangerous Occurance) regulations it is mandatory that accidents are reported to the Health and Safety Excecutive. Instructions for accident reporting can be found here.

 What to do in case of