School of Chemistry

Search site

Study abroad programme - School of Chemistry, Leeds

Study abroad

All of our undergraduate chemistry courses give you the chance to study abroad as part of your degree. You might study overseas in Europe, Australia, the USA or elsewhere.

We have relationships with many international universities, representing some of the best places to study abroad across the world.

What is study abroad?

Studying abroad means spending a year at an overseas international university, as a part of your chemistry degree. 

During your year abroad (which would usually be the third year of your degree), you’ll study your course and learn chemistry at your overseas host institution.

You’ll then return to Leeds to complete your degree.

Studying abroad is a great way to boost your confidence and broaden your outlook on life. You’ll also gain an overseas education and develop new skills that could impress future employers.

Where might I study abroad?

We have partnerships with universities across the globe. You might study in the USA, Europe, Australia, or other places including Canada and Singapore.

Our partner universities include the University of Sydney, University of Madrid, and Penn State University.

Why study abroad?

There are lots of great reasons to study overseas during your undergraduate degree.

Study abroad benefits include:

  • Improving your language skills
  • Building your self-confidence
  • Broadening your horizons
  • Experiencing a different cultural environment overseas
  • Developing new skills that help your future job prospect.

If you take part in a study abroad year, you’ll have this added to your degree title, e.g. ‘MChem, BSc Chemistry (International)’, which employers can recognise as a sign of your developed skills and experiences.

Does the study abroad year extend the length of my degree course?

Studying overseas might change the total length of your undergraduate degree course:

  • If you’re studying a BSc course, studying abroad will increase the length of your degree to four years.
  • If you’re studying an MChem course, the length of your degree remains at four years.
  • If you’re studying MChem Chemistry and Mathematics or MNatSci Natural Sciences, studying abroad will increase the length of your degree to five years.

Gaining a place on the study abroad programme is competitive and depends on the grades you achieve. 

I want to study overseas, but can’t speak the language

If you want to study abroad at an overseas university where the course is taught in a foreign language, we’ll help prepare you with a specialist language module through our Language Centre.

There’s also the chance to attend a short programme abroad, usually a summer school, which means you don’t have to take a full year out.  

For more information on studying abroad, visit the study abroad website